First responders such as police, firefighters and border-protection officers, as well as military personnel, now have a new versatile handheld gamma and neutron radiation isotope identifier engineered for use in severe environmental conditions.
The Thermo Scientific RIIDEye X handheld radiation isotope identifier is designed to protect first responders from harmful radiation by enabling users to detect and identify radiation in the environment and give users feedback on radiation location, type, and quantity.
This new instrument is designed to locate and identify gamma and neutron radiation sources within cargo, food, solids, liquids, and semi-solids, or persons.
With its reinforced, dust proof and water resistant casing, the compact, lightweight RIIDEye X is engineered for use in nearly any environment and can withstand drops from up to one meter.
Thermo Fisher will showcase its new RIIDEye X instrument this week at the CBRNe Convergence Congress and Exhibition, October 29-31, 2013, Town & Country Conference Center, Booth # 25.
Since its first release last year, the RIIDEye instrument has been redesigned to significantly improve the detection and identification of harmful radiation in severe conditions.
The new RIIDEye X now uses CLYC technology for neutron detection, and new algorithms for improving speed and accuracy. In addition, RIIDEye X’s improved interface makes complicated spectroscopic readings easy to understand.
“The RIIDEye X was designed to provide the fastest, most accurate radiation detection in the most challenging conditions our customers encounter,” said Scott Masiella, product line manager for spectroscopy, Thermo Fisher Scientific. “In addition, RIIDEye X was engineered for use by personnel with little experience in radiation measurement, giving a wide range of first responders a new tool needed to quickly detect radiation in the field.”
Key innovations of the RIIDEye X include:
• Patented Quadratic Compression Conversion (QCC) algorithm enables real-time data delivery for identification and measurement
• Special Nuclear Materials (SNM) Assist enhances SNM detection by auto-calculating scan times to enable confident results
• CLYC Neutron detector uses no He3 and is located in the handle to enhance performance detection
• Independently tested to be compliant to ANSI N42.34 - 2006 RIID performance standards by Oak Ridge National Laboratory
• Continuous gain stabilization with natural 40K engineered to facilitate accurate results in changing environments
Thermo Scientific radiation measurement and security instruments are field-ready tools that deliver precise and actionable intelligence to military, law enforcement and other first responders around the world.
Products include the RadEye line of hand held detectors, RadSPEC, Packeye and the new RIIDEye line of instruments for radiation isotope identification.