Training School: Genotyping by Sequencing
03 Nov 2014 - 06 Nov 2014 - Norwich, UK
What is the workshop about?
The course will provide an overview of Genotyping by Sequencing (GBS) from the experimental design, to advances in the technological platforms, protocols, to actual quality assurance, mapping, SNP detection and basic concepts such as file formats and intro to linux in order to equip the early stage scientists with the actual skills to design and perform a GBS project. The course will show how such method has been applied and explore how it could be applied to the specific model organisms of this training school: lagomorphs. The course will be based on a mixture of conceptual lectures, methodological sessions and a variety of interactive sessions: hands on exercises, tutor led tutorials, group, pair and individual activities including quizzes.
What will I learn?
- Basic understanding and actual skills using Linux to search, retrieve and do basic manipulation of files in Linux
- Understand the benefits of having a basic skill in the command line
- Gain an overview of GBS applications, common pitfalls and challenges
- Gain an understanding of the crucial steps form experimental design to storage and data analysis.
- Understand the major aspects intrinsic to Lagomorph genomics that might influence the application of GBS.
- Understand different Data formats, file conversions, and how to do some automation to avoid errors
- Learn and understand basic but fundamental concepts of computing infrastructure and its core importance in modern biological data analysis
- How to plan, organize your own data and perform a GBS analysis workflow making the most of widely available public repositories and resources to help to answer biological questions
The course is aimed at PhD students and postdocs already embarked or starting research projects on GBS and working with Lagomorphs. The selecting committee will be looking at the overlap between the applicants expectations from the course and what the course will be delivering, coupled with the timely application for the applicants to use what they have learn as soon as possible.
This training school will require participants to read and cover some basic concepts prior to the actual course so that time can be devoted to other aspects.