Real-time PCR in molecular diagnostics
22 Oct 2013 - 24 Oct 2013 - Avans University Breda, the Netherlands
Aim of the course:
Real time Polymerase Chain Reaction is becoming more and more important in almost all laboratories. Especially in diagnostic laboratories real time PCR is a new, and promising, technique to identify bacteria, viruses and genetic alterations in human cells. The aim of this international short-course is to give the participants an in-depth view in the theoretical and practical knowledge of real time PCR techniques in molecular diagnostics. State-of-the-art experts in the field of real time PCR techniques from several diagnostic laboratories will provide theoretical and practical expertise.
This course is developed for experienced laboratory technicians involved in the life sciences laboratories, incl. medical diagnostics, microbiology, genetics, pathology, immunology, etc.
Basic knowledge of molecular biology in general and PCR is a prerequisite. If you feel you lack the basic knowledge in PCR or the basic principles of real-time PCR, but you would like to participate in this quantitative PCR course, please note that the Avans Hogeschool also offers an international introductory short course: Principles, parameters, and applications of PCR (code 2545), which is especially suitable as a basic introduction to this course.
The course consists of a series of practical sessions interspersed with lectures and tutorials. 50% of the time is devoted to lectures and 50% is spent on "hands-on" experiments, covering techniques that may be directly applied in diagnostic laboratories. All participants will receive a practical manual containing all used protocols.
- Day 1: Pre-PCR: Sample preparation and RNA isolation for real-time PCR and HRMA
- Day 2: Real-time PCR and validation
- Day 3: HRMA, digital PCR and Post-qPCR data analysis
- Sample preparation for real-time PCR
- RNA quality control (Lab-on-a-chip, RIN)
- Real-time quantitative PCR and mathematics
- Trouble shooting and discussion of qPCR problems
list of Guest Lectures:
- Primer and probe design for real time PCR in molecular diagnostics, Facts and puzzles
Dr. Dario Papi, Tib-MolBiol, Berlin, Germany
- Quantitative and qualitative multiplex PCR: Applications in diagnosis of viral diseases
Dr. Richard Molenkamp, Dpt. Clinical Virology, AMC, Amsterdam
- Detection of minimal residual disease with RQ-PCR
Dr. V. van der Velden, Dept. of Immunology, Erasmus MC, Rotterdam
- How to deal with qPCR thermocycler variability in moleculair diagnostics
Mary Span, CYCLERtest B.V. & BIOplastics B.V.
- High resolution melting curve analysis in molecular diagnostics.
Leendert Vermeulen, Roche Diagnostics, Almere
- Inroduction to droplet digital PCR, overview and applications of the 3rd generation PCR
E. van Collenburg, Bio-Rad laboratories, Veenendaal
- Pre-PCR: Sample preparation; RNA isolation from virus, and leukemia cells
- Real-time PCR: Hybridization probe analysis: HSV1 versus HSV2
- Real-time PCR: Multiplex real-time PCR for Respiratory viruses
- Real time quantitative PCR: Real time quantitative PCR for BCR-ABL translocations (MRD)
- Real-time PCR: High resolution melting curve analysis: HSV1 versus HSV2
- Post-PCR: qPCR data analysis of real-time quantitative PCR data
Dr. Onno Bakker, Qpcr&A, NL.
Dr. M.C.M. Verschuren, Avans Hogeschool, Research group Analysis Techniques in Life Sciences, Breda, NL.
All participants will receive a certificate of attendance. This course is awarded with 36 UEC
(eurocredits for the european professional dossier), which will be mentioned on the course certificate.
Registration fee: € 900,-. The fee includes course materials and lunch.
Early registration: 15 % reduction in registration fee when registered before July 1th.
Location: Avans Hogeschool, Lovensdijkstraat 61, Breda, The Netherlands route description
This course can be combined with the basic course on Principles, parameters, and applications of PCR; Principles, parameters, and applications of PCR (code 2545).
Course fee of a combined registration (2545 + 2548) is € 1.200,-