There have been monumental advances in mass spectrometry (MS) instrumentation in recent years, but its unglamorous counterpart, sample preparation, has not enjoyed the same rate of development. Sample preparation has become a major bottleneck, and the issues associated with manual processing have hindered the uptake of MS innovation in the life science industry. To help overcome this, Tecan offers a range of Freedom EVO-based automation solutions allowing endtoend processing for even the most challenging protocols, liberating scientists from the time-consuming task of manual sample preparation.
A wide range of protocols are routinely used for MS sample preparation, ranging from the low complexity dilute and shoot and protein crash methods used in toxicology workflows, to the more complex solid phase extraction (SPE), liquid-liquid extraction (LLE) and protein purification/digestion techniques. Automation of these processes is key to meeting the high throughput and quality demands of customers. Tecan’s freely-configurable, automated extraction and purification platforms eliminate manual errors, allowing staff to focus on downstream MS analysis, streamlining laboratory workflows and enhancing productivity. For common MS sample preparation applications, the easy-to-use TouchTools™ interface places complete workflows at customers’ fingertips, making automation easier than ever before.
Solid phase extraction
Despite its widespread use for sample purification prior to liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry (LC-MS), manual SPE is cumbersome, time consuming and prone to manual errors, lowering overall productivity. Automation of SPE is therefore a major requirement across all segments of the pharma, forensics, food, clinical and bioanalysis industries, and Tecan’s automated SPE workstations offer:
• Greater flexibility – a unique choice of air- and liquid-displacement technologies on a single platform.
• Enhanced productivity – performing parallel SPE extractions in 96-well plates, with independent arm movements for true parallel processing and maximum speed.
• Assured quality – built-in process security features to meet even the most stringent quality requirements.
Tecan’s LLE workstations offer a versatile and totally automated solution for fast, robust and safe analyte purification and quantification. With unparalleled precision and unmatched configurability, there is a Freedom EVO solution for even the most challenging solvent extractions prior to LCMS analysis, providing:
• Improved safety – automation reduces operator exposure to organic solvents
• Exceptional reliability – high precision liquid handling enabling consistent results, irrespective of the operator
• Lower costs – reduced solvent use offering a ‘green’ and economical solution.
Biomarker research and the pharmaceutical industry’s growing interest in biologics have made protein analysis routine in many laboratories. In addition, affinity purification prior to LC-MS or MALDI-MS (matrix-assisted laser desorption ionization-MS) is now commonly performed using a diverse range of separation media.
Tecan offers a broad portfolio of protein digestion and purification solutions, allowing researchers to focus on downstream LC-MS analysis while the Freedom EVO seamlessly performs the most cumbersome digestion and/or purification tasks. The Company’s extensive collaborative partnerships with leading chromatography providers ensure optimized processing of a number of affinity purification systems, including MediaScout® RoboColumns™, PreDictor™ RoboColumns, PreDictor filter plates and PhyTip® columns.
Automated protein purification ensures maximum peptide recovery and assay throughput, with benefits including:
• Advanced process security – silicone-covered labware, piercing tips and unique gel-digest sandwich to prevent contamination
• Robust processing – end-to-end automation achieves the same results every time
• Freely configurable – special heating/cooling devices and various workflow options mean that every need is met.
To find out more on Tecan’s mass spectrometry sample preparation solutions, visit www.tecan.com/lcms