Seegene Inc. has announced “MDisc”, the industry's first simultaneous multi-quantification real-time PCR technology that will help ignite a paradigm shift in the PCR market.
Real-time PCR is a gold standard in molecular diagnostics because of its versatility, speed and ease of use. However, few advances in real-time PCR chemistry have been made over the past 20-years despite the growing demand for assays that deliver both high multiplexing and quantification of targets.
In order to detect more than two target genes in a single fluorescent channel, the current real-time PCR technologies must use melt curve analysis after amplification. The limitations of current melt curve-based technologies include end point analysis after a PCR step leads to longer total around time, quantification analysis is impracticable with end-point analysis, target sequence variations on probe binding region likely leads to melt temperature(Tm) variations.
MDisc transforms real-time -PCR into a vastly more powerful technology capable of simultaneous amplification and detection of multiple target genes in a single channel without melt curve analysis. This multi-quantification capability will enable clinicians to gain a complete package of diagnostic information including the diagnosis of disease, degree of disease progression and severity, and monitoring of treatment.
Additional MDisc technology benefits include
• Multi-Ct(threshold cycle) values in a single channel for the multi target detection.
• SNP genotyping in a single channel such as homozygous wild type or mutant, or heterozygous samples without melt curve analysis.
• Multiple channels not necessary for multiplex target detection or quantification; more economical approach for gene analysis.
• No more crosstalk between channels by selecting channels distanced from each other.
• Freedom from well-to-well and instrument-to-instrument variations.
• Ability to select fluorescent dyes regardless of real-time PCR instrument type. (Up to now, the optical filter sets are designed to maximize fluorescence detection only for specific dyes in specific channels.)
“MDisc is the world’s very first technology for multi Ct in a single channel and opens a new chapter for PCR-based research applications and molecular diagnostics," said Dr. Chun, Jong-Yoon, Founder, CTO and CEO of Seegene. “The accurate measurement of both the amount and the number of different pathogens present is required for diagnosis, prognosis and prediction of disease. Adding the power of simultaneous multi-quantification to real-time PCR will deliver a more comprehensive and actionable diagnosis for improved patient care, and reduced healthcare costs.”
Dr. Chun added, "With MDisc, real-time PCR instruments will no longer require multiple channels, making it an economically viable technology for high volume gene analysis.”