Suppression for anion chromatography – no need for regular suppressor replacement
Complete the form below to unlock access to ALL audio articles.
Suppression plays a key role in ion-exchange chromatography and conductivity detection. It is widely used, e.g., for the analysis of anions and organic acids.
Suppression as a practical solution for ion chromatography
• decreases the background conductivity of the eluent
• minimizes baseline noise
• optimizes the signal-to-noise ratio
• increases the sensitivity of the measuring system
To this date, the Metrohm Suppressor Module (MSM) is the most efficient and robust technical solution to implement suppression in ion chromatography.The patented MSM consists of a small rotor containing three cartridges filled with cation exchanger resin. While the first cartridge is used for suppression, a regeneration step is performed on the second cartdrige. The third cartridge is rinsed automatically during this time. Hence, with each shifting of the rotor, a freshly regenerated suppressor cartridge is always available for every new sample.
The practical benefits of the MSM are striking:
• Due to the excellent signal-to-noise ratio, anions and organic acids can be determined down to the ultratrace range
• Measurements can be started just half an hour after switching the IC system on.
• Applications can be changed at any time with no impact on system performance
• Due to the robust design and the working principle of the MSM, the MSM comes with a 10 year warranty. In practice this means that it is bought once with the IC system and will never have to be replaced.