Thermo Scientific Introduces New Capabilities for Comprehensive Qualitative and Quantitative Proteomics at ASMS 2011
Complete the form below to unlock access to ALL audio articles.
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc., has introduced new capabilities for laboratories performing a wide range of qualitative and quantitative proteomics workflows.
These capabilities integrate seamlessly with the full portfolio of industry leading solutions offered by Thermo Fisher Scientific, providing laboratories with end-to-end workflows that make a deeper and broader understanding of proteomes and biological pathways possible.
The new products can be seen in the Thermo Scientific hospitality suite at the Hyatt Regency in Centennial Ballroom D, during the 59th Annual ASMS Conference on Mass Spectrometry and Allied Topics, from June 5-9 in Denver.
“True realization of comprehensive proteomics is an enormous challenge.” said Andreas Huhmer, proteomics marketing director for life sciences mass spectrometry at Thermo Fisher Scientific.
Huhmer continued, “Overcoming this challenge requires innovative tools that make proteomics analyses more comprehensive in every way. New capabilities, such as our exclusive sample preparation chemistry that targets all kinases in a proteome, will significantly increase the number of proteins scientists can find. Others such as SimGlycan software, offer much more precise characterization of post translational modifications."
Highlighting its commitment to overcoming challenges in proteomics, the company is showcasing:
• Exclusive Thermo Scientific Pierce Kinase Enrichment Kit with ActivX® ATP or ADP Probes, Thermo Scientific Pierce GTPase Enrichment Kit and Thermo Scientific ActivX Serine Hydrolase Probes that enable the capture and identification of more protein and peptide classes, including kinases which are important to therapeutic drug development research.
• Thermo Scientific Pierce Peptide Calibration Mixture and Thermo Scientific Pierce PEPotec SRM peptide library, for selected reaction monitoring (SRM) assays, to simplify and speed quantitative assays.
• Thermo Scientific EASY-nLC 1000 split-free nano-flow system that significantly increases chromatographic resolution, and thus protein and peptide identifications, with effortless ultra-high pressure operation.
• Innovative mass spectrometers - Thermo Scientific Velos Pro linear ion trap, Orbitrap Velos Pro hybrid FTMS, Q Exactive high performance benchtop quadrupole-Orbitrap LC-MS/MS, and Orbitrap Elite flagship hybrid mass spectrometer – that provide new levels of resolving power, speed, sensitivity and versatility for all proteomics workflows.
• New versions of Thermo Scientific Proteome Discoverer and SIEVE software, as well SimGlycan software from PREMIER Biosoft that enable identification and characterization of more proteins, peptides and post translational modifications (PTMs).
• New version of Thermo Scientific Pinpoint software to enhance the speed and overall confidence in targeted quantitation assays for all experimental approaches including high resolution accurate mass (HRAM) approaches.
More comprehensive protein and peptide characterization for more biological insight
Thermo Scientific is proud to debut products that facilitate every step of qualitative proteomics research from sample preparation and LC-MS analysis, to data processing and integration of information into biological insight.
For example, with the company’s exclusive sample preparation chemistries, scientists can capture more protein and peptide classes for subsequent analysis by LC-MS than ever before. These novel chemistries target active serine hydrolases, GTPases, large G-protein subunits and kinases - an important class of pharmaceutical-industry drug targets with promise in cancer treatment.
Updated versions of Proteome Discoverer™, SIEVE™ and SimGlycan® software, leverage the rich, high-quality data produced by Thermo Scientific LC and MS systems and offer new capabilities to enable scientists to explore complex proteomes in much greater depth and breadth, and with greater confidence and speed.
The latest version of Proteome Discoverer software, a comprehensive mass informatics platform, includes features that can be used to determine the location of PTMs, and to mine and integrate biological information, including biological context, from multiple sources.
SIEVE software now further speeds interpretation of differentially-expressed proteins and peptides through complete integration with Thermo Scientific ProteinCenter. The software is also expanded to increase the information obtained from metabolomic and lipidomic workflows. SimGlycan software dramatically speeds characterization of complex glycan structures through automated interpretation of MSn data.
Faster, higher-confidence quantitative proteomics
Pinpoint™ software allows scientists to leverage previously acquired discovery data from mass spectrometers, such as the powerful new Q Exactive™, to speed and simplify development of robust quantitative assays for all experimental approaches: HRAM, SRM, higher-energy collision induced dissociation (HCD), multiplexed selected ion monitoring (SIM) and multiplexed HCD.
The new version includes retention time prediction tools that reduce the number of sample injections needed to ensure high-confidence quantitation results, thereby maximizing throughput. Complementing Pinpoint software, the new Pierce® Peptide Retention Time Calibration Mixture and Pierce® PEPotec SRM custom peptide library speed quantification assays by reducing setup time.