Science is facing, arguably, one of its greatest challenges yet – the COVID-19 outbreak caused by the SARS-CoV-2 virus.
Scientists across the globe are working tirelessly to understand the virus at a molecular level; how it survives, mutates, spreads and infects humans. Collectively, these efforts enhance our ability to develop both preventive and therapeutic strategies against SARS-CoV-2.
Vaccines are an example of one such preventive.
Towards a coronavirus vaccine
Vaccines are biological products that generate acquired immunity to certain infectious diseases.
Under "normal" circumstances, vaccine development, licensure and manufacturing are processes that can take several years to complete.
In this critical time, a myriad of healthcare companies, research institutions and authorities are working to accelerate such timelines to quickly deliver a safe and effective vaccine against COVID-19.
As of June 2020, over 140 vaccines against SARS-CoV-2 are in development.
Technology Networks is committed to keeping you updated with the latest research in this space. Below, you'll find a curation of our latest COVID-19 vaccine-related content.
You can also visit our COVID-19 vaccine tracker, where we monitor which vaccines are in human clinical trials and how they are progressing through each phase.
Latest in COVID-19 vaccine development:
- Phase II/III Clinical Trial for COVID-19 Vaccine Begins at NYU Langone Health
- Phase III Clinical Trial of COVID-19 Vaccine Begins
- Database Offers Access to 200 Million Immune Sequences From COVID-19 Patients
- Wuhan COVID-19 Vaccine Trials Show Early Positive Results, Moving Forward to Phase 3 Testing
- Oxford Coronavirus Vaccine Produces Strong Immune Response, Early Results Indicate
- Vaccine Response-enhancing Additive Has Implications for SARS-CoV-2
- Moderna's COVID-19 Vaccine Shows Positive Interim Results in Phase I Trial
- Sinovac COVID-19 Vaccine Collaboration Receives Approval for Phase III Trial
- Optimizing the Discovery of Synthetic Antibodies for SARS-CoV-2
- Controlled Human Infection Models for SARS-CoV-2 Vaccine Development
- 13 COVID-19 Vaccines Are in Human Clinical Trials – What Are They?
- Scientists Suggest That Childhood Vaccines Could Protect Against COVID-19
- First Volunteer Receives Imperial COVID-19 Vaccine
- Vaccine Against COVID-19 Advances to Late-stage Development
- GSK and Clover Biopharmaceuticals COVID-19 Vaccine Begins Human Clinical Trials
- Researchers Propose a Clinical Trial To Test MMR Vaccine for COVID-19
- Cobra Signs Supply Agreement with AstraZeneca for Manufacture of COVID-19 Vaccine Candidate
- Novavax Awarded Department of Defense Contract for COVID-19 Vaccine
- Industry Leaders Provide An Update on COVID-19 Vaccine Progress
- Oral Vaccine for COVID-19 On Track Towards Human Clinical Trials
- Phase I/II Clinical Trial of COVID-19 Vaccine Begins
- Positive Interim Phase 1 Data for mRNA Vaccine Against SARS-CoV-2
- Funding Boost for UK Vaccine Programme
- Analysis of SARS-CoV-2 Immune Response Bodes Well for Vaccine Development
- CEPI Extends Collaboration With Novavax To Advance Development and Manufacture of COVID-19 Vaccine
- Key Challenges in COVID-19 Vaccine Development Outlined
- Scientists Team Up To Create A Strategic Plan for COVID-19 Vaccine R&D
- Custom Lentivirus Pseudotyped with Spike Glycoprotein from SARS-CoV-2
- Positive Pre-clinical Data for Oral COVID-19 Vaccine Program
- SARS-CoV-2 Antibody Screening Trials To Aid Quest for Vaccine
- Novel Gene-based Vaccine Candidate Against SARS-CoV-2 in Development
- CEPI Announces a Ninth COVID-19 Vaccine Development Partnership
- Phase 1 U.S. Trial of COVID-19 DNA Vaccine Enrollment Complete
- Meet the Subjects of the UK's First Coronavirus Vaccine Clinical Trial
- Inside the UK's Coronavirus Vaccine Clinical Trial
- University of Oxford Partners With AstraZeneca To Accelerate Globalization of COVID-19 Vaccine in Clinical Trials
- New Partnership To Develop a Pan-Coronavirus DNA Vaccine
- MERS Vaccine Clinical Trial Offers Useful Insights for SARS-CoV-2 Vaccine Development
- First New Oral Polio Vaccine in 50 Years Offers Lessons for COVID-19
- UK Human Clinical Trials of COVID-19 Vaccine Set To Begin
- Preprint Suggests MERS-CoV Vaccine Can Protect Monkeys
- Consortium Members Work To Deliver UK's First COVID-19 Vaccine As Quickly and Safely As Possible
- CEPI Grants Funding to INOVIO for Phase I/II Trial of COVID-19 Vaccine
- Collaboration To Develop Gene-encoded Antibody Vaccine Against COVID-19 Is Underway
- Vaccine and Drug Development for COVID-19 – When the Cure Becomes the Problem
- Genetic System Can Reduce COVID-19 Vaccine Development Timeframe
- Which Vaccines Against COVID-19 Are in Human Clinical Trials?
- Progressing Towards a COVID-19 Vaccine
-COVID-19 Vaccine Development: An Interview With GeoVax
- Vaccine in Development for COVID-19 Using Fast-growing Tobacco Plant Tech
- COVID-19: Exploring Industry Efforts and Collaborations
- Sartorius Supports COVID-19 Vaccine Development Efforts
- COVID-19 – Accelerating Vaccine Development and Manufacturing
- COVID-19 Vaccine Development Update: An Interview With Novavax
- $12 M Awarded for New COVID-19 Vaccine Manufacturing Efforts
- Mapping Out Data Requirements for Phase 1 COVID-19 Vaccine Trials
- Current Efforts in COVID-19 Vaccine Development
- Phase 1 Clinical Trial of Coronavirus Vaccine Commences
- Are Coronavirus Vaccines and Therapeutics Waiting in the Wings?
- Structural Biology Helps Drive Coronavirus Vaccine Development
- New Coronavirus Insights Mark Important Step Towards Vaccine