PerkinElmer to Acquire Caliper Life Sciences
News Sep 21, 2011
Robert F. Friel, chairman and chief executive officer, PerkinElmer, said, “The acquisition of Caliper Life Sciences brings innovative molecular imaging and detection technologies to our portfolio, complementing our world-leading offerings in life science, diagnostics, environmental and food markets.”
Friel added, “The R&D, application expertise, and intellectual property of the combined organization will provide our customers with enhanced knowledge and services and a strong pipeline of innovation. Additionally, the proven leadership and talent of the Caliper team will be a strong addition to our organization."
The combined technology platforms will expand PerkinElmer's deep portfolio of solutions and services for global customers including:
• Broader offerings for molecular, cellular, animal and tissue imaging to enable translational medicine research;
• Addition of a world-leading microfluidics platform for genomics and proteomics applications, for improved detection and screening through low sample use and efficiency;
• High-value sample preparation technologies for key scientific workflow areas such as Next Generation DNA Sequencing;
• More comprehensive solutions and services for identification of therapeutic response, biotherapeutics development and biologics QA/QC;
• Platform technology additions to drive expansion into attractive areas such as detection for environmental contaminants and food pathogens; and
• Broadening services capabilities, leveraging multi-vendor asset management, custom research, and profiling for contaminants and adverse effects.
Kevin Hrusovsky, chief executive officer, Caliper Life Sciences, noted, “We are delighted to become part of PerkinElmer. For 10 years, Caliper has partnered with strategic customers to develop a compelling suite of discovery technologies for broad life science applications.”
Hrusovsky added, “I am excited by both PerkinElmer’s ability to leverage its global reach for the delivery of solutions and the opportunity to accelerate the development of important advances that make a difference in improving human and environmental health. I am confident this is the correct strategic direction at this time for Caliper customers, shareholders and employees, and we are looking forward to becoming part of one of the leading companies in our industry.”
Hrusovsky is anticipated to join the PerkinElmer senior leadership team following the close of the transaction.
Bioinformatics to Help Understand Intrinsically Disordered ProteinsNews
Over the last several decades, scientists have sequenced 85 million unique proteins, structured and unstructured alike, but still don’t know what the vast majority of these proteins do.READ MORE