Spotlight on Sustainable Endotoxin Testing to Support Horseshoe Crab Conservation at Lonza’s 5th Endotoxin Testing Summit
Product News Apr 05, 2019
The horseshoe crab
An inspiring panel of world-class speakers has been lined up for Lonza’s 5th Global Endotoxin Testing Summit, 3–5 June 2019. This annual event provides a forum for sharing the latest updates among those who play a critical role in shaping how we perform endotoxin testing in QC laboratories on a daily basis.
This year’s theme, "Where Science Meets Inspiration," represents the gathering of experts across the endotoxin community, from pharmaceutical scientists to regulators, drug manufacturers and conservationists, all keen to share and learn about the latest research and current and future trends for more accurate, reliable and sustainable endotoxin testing.
Key topics will include the adoption of recombinant Factor C (rFC), low endotoxin recovery and the newly published PDA Technical Report, past and present trends in pyrogen testing, automation initiatives and data integrity. This year a special session will be dedicated to horseshoe crab conservation.
The 2019 event’s headline speakers include:
• Dr. Jack Levin, M.D., Keynote Speaker, University of San Francisco, Founder of the LAL Gel-Clot Test
• Ms. Karen McCollough, MMI Associates, Member of the USP Expert Committee
• Mr. Jay Bolden, Eli Lilly and Company, Senior Consultant Quality, Biologist, Global Quality Laboratories
• Mr. Kevin Williams, bioMerieux, Author of ‘Endotoxins: Pyrogens, LAL Testing and Depyrogenation’
• Mrs. Deborah Cramer, MIT, Author of ‘The Narrow Edge: A Tiny Bird, An Ancient Crab, and An Epic Journey’
• Mr. Glenn Gauvry, Founder, Ecological Research & Development Group (ERDG)
The Summit also includes an opportunity to make a direct impact on the welfare and conservation of horseshoe crabs in Delaware Bay through participation in ERDG’s Just flip 'em!™ program. Every year hundreds of thousands of Atlantic horseshoe crabs die after being stranded upside down during the annual spawning ritual. Delegates are invited to visit the beach to help flip these stranded creatures, offering safe passage back to the sea.
Allen Burgenson, Global Subject Matter Expert – Testing Solutions, Lonza, said, "Endotoxin testing plays a vital role in ensuring the safety of all parenteral pharmaceuticals. The field continues to drive progress in terms of the quality and efficiency of testing, in addition to addressing the reliance on horseshoe crabs. The Global Endotoxin Testing Summit helps communicate these developments, as well as enable the endotoxin community to build new partnerships, strengthen existing ones and set the agenda for the future direction of the field."
Robert Porzio, Product Manager – Endotoxin Detection, Lonza, said, "The Global Endotoxin Testing Summit continues to go from strength to strength, with industry-recognized thought leaders contributing to our program. This year’s speaker panel looks to be one of the most engaging and impactful yet."
Commenting on the 2018 Global Endotoxin Testing Summit, Jay Bolden, Senior Consultant Biologist, Eli Lilly, commented, "The summit had real data, real samples and real experiences – everything I like about a good conference."
• Lonza’s 5th Global Endotoxin Testing Summit
• ‘Where Science Meets Inspiration’
• 3–5 June 2019
• Annapolis, MD & Pickering Beach, DE (USA)