Veeco Introduces New Suite of GaN MOCVD Systems
Product News Nov 27, 2012
Veeco Instruments Inc. has introduced three new models of its market-leading TurboDisc® metal organic chemical vapor deposition (MOCVD) systems for the production of high brightness light emitting diodes (LEDs): TurboDisc MaxBright® M™, TurboDisc MaxBright MHP™ and TurboDisc K465i HP™.
• MaxBright M: a modular and more compact version of Veeco’s multi-reactor system. The MaxBright M provides easier serviceability and up to 15% improved footprint efficiency compared to MaxBright. It also features improved layout configuration flexibility to accommodate various fab spacing requirements.
• MaxBright MHP: a high performance version of the new modular “M.” The MaxBright MHP provides as much as 20% within-wafer wavelength uniformity improvement over MaxBright. Higher yields are achieved from technology advancements that result in improved thermal and flow capability. The MaxBright MHP also provides lower cost of ownership as compared to MaxBright.
• K465i HP: a high performance option for Veeco’s single-reactor MOCVD system which delivers up to 20% within-wafer wavelength uniformity improvement compared to the K465i and lower cost of ownership.
• These new systems are available in 2, 4, 6 and 8” configurations. Existing MaxBright and K465i systems are easily field-upgradeable to the high performance HP option. All of Veeco’s MOCVD systems feature its low maintenance TurboDisc technology, which enables highest system availability and throughput.
• For more information on these new products please visit: www.veeco.com/maxbrightmhp.
William J. Miller, Ph.D., Executive Vice President, Veeco Process Equipment, commented, "This new suite of products provides our customers with tremendous flexibility to make the most of their capital investments and choose the system that works best in their unique production environment. The innovation in the MaxBright M, MaxBright MHP and K465i HP was accomplished by listening to our customers and focusing on system improvements that could drive their productivity and yield - two critical factors in our customers’ success.”
John R. Peeler, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Veeco added, “This new product line-up, all based on our industry leading technology and automation expertise, can help to accelerate worldwide adoption of LED lighting by reducing manufacturing costs. Veeco remains committed to providing the industry’s highest capacity, highest throughput and lowest cost of ownership MOCVD systems available.”
According to IMS Research, the K465i, introduced in 2010, was the top selling MOCVD tool that year, and the MaxBright, launched in 2011, was the top seller last year.
Compound Semiconductor Magazine recently awarded Veeco the “Compound Semiconductor Manufacturing Award, stating “MaxBright was the biggest breakthrough in compound semiconductor manufacturing over the last 12 months.”