UK to Invest up to £2.8M in Bioscience Research
News Apr 17, 2014
The Technology Strategy Board, Invest Northern Ireland (Invest NI) and Highlands and Islands Enterprise (HIE) are to invest up to £2.75m in collaborative feasibility studies to stimulate innovation across four technology areas that will enable and underpin UK growth: advanced materials; biosciences; electronics, sensors and photonics, and information and communications technology (ICT).
Projects will be led by a small or micro company, in collaboration with one or more business or research partners, with expected costs of £50k to £150k and last from six to 15 months.
The bioscience proposals should be focused on one or more of the specific elements below:
Characterisation and discovery tools
- commercial application of sequencing technologies focusing on genomics
- integration and exploitation of phenotyping technologies
- integration of 'omics technologies, such as integrating metabolomic, proteomic, genomic and phenomic data collection and interpretation capabilities
- biological imaging systems, biosensors, probes/ markers, diagnostic platforms.
Production and processing
- metabolic engineering
- novel manufacturing processes for biological products and novel biological production systems
- formulation and delivery approaches for biological products, including biopharmaceuticals and functional foods.
- approaches to organising, filtering and interpreting biological data, including biological system modelling, data visualisation and user-centred design.
Projects should be focused on early-stage technical opportunities that:
- contain a significant level of technical risk, in that there is some level of uncertainty about how the proposed technical approach will work in practice
- involve companies carrying out most (if not all) of the research in-house. Projects should build a technical evidence base to enable progression to larger-scale projects.
This competition opens on 6 May 2014, and the deadline for applications is noon on 25 June 2014.
Acquisition Sees Agilent Gain Powerful NGS IP PortfolioNews
Agilent Technologies announces its acquisition of the molecular and sample barcoding portfolios of Population Genetics Technologies.READ MORE
Protein Discovery Could Lead to Better Diagnosis of StressNews
Researchers have found a protein that is present in people while they are in stressful situations. The discovery could lead to identifying new ways to predict, diagnose and treat stress.READ MORE
Tiny “Tornado” Boosts Performance of Electrospray Ionization Mass SpectrometryNews
Known as Dry Ion Localization and Locomotion (DRILL), the new device creates a swirling flow that can separate electrospray droplets depending on their size.READ MORE
Comments | 0 ADD COMMENT
International Conference on Genomics and Pharmacogenomics
Jul 18 - Jul 19, 2018