AstraZeneca Announces Changes to Senior Executive Team
News Jan 28, 2013
AstraZeneca has unveiled changes to its executive leadership team. The new, expanded membership of AstraZeneca’s Senior Executive Team, which comes into effect immediately, includes increased representation of the company’s scientific expertise, key products and key markets.
The changes include the creation of:
• Three senior research and development roles responsible for discovery and early stage development in small molecules; discovery and early stage development in biologics; and late stage development.
• Three roles representing the commercial regions: North America, Europe and International.
• A role responsible for global portfolio and product strategy, bridging between the R&D and sales organization.
As a result of the changes, two senior roles - President of Research and Development, held by Martin Mackay, and Executive Vice President, Global Commercial, held by Tony Zook - have been eliminated. Martin Mackay and Tony Zook will leave the company at the end of January.
The full Senior Executive Team is as follows:
• Pascal Soriot Chief Executive Officer and Executive Director
• Simon Lowth Chief Financial Officer and Executive Director
• Mene Pangalos Executive Vice President, Innovative Medicines
• Bahija Jallal Executive Vice President, MedImmune
• Briggs Morrison Executive Vice President, Global Medicines Development
• Paul Hudson Executive Vice President, North America
• Ruud Dobber Executive Vice President, Europe
• Mark Mallon Executive Vice President, International
• David Smith Executive Vice President, Operations & IS
• Lynn Tetrault Executive Vice President, Human Resources & Corporate Affairs
• Katarina Ageborg Chief Compliance Officer
• Jeff Pott General Counsel
The appointment of Executive Vice President, Global Portfolio & Product Strategy will be made at a later date.
Pascal Soriot, Chief Executive Officer, said: “This new senior executive team structure, that draws heavily from the leadership talent within the company, enables us to bring an even sharper management focus to key pipeline assets, key brands and key markets, and helps us further accelerate decision-making.”
Commenting on Martin Mackay and Tony Zook, Pascal Soriot said: “I would like to thank Martin and Tony for their contribution and the exemplary leadership they have shown in their time at AstraZeneca. We wish them well in their future endeavours.”
Details of AstraZeneca’s Senior Executive Team, including biographies, can be found on the company’s web site at www.astrazeneca.com/About-Us/Board-and-management.
PhoreMost and o2h Discovery Collaborate to Progress First-in-Class Drug Discovery ProgramsNews
PhoreMost, the UK-based biopharmaceutical company dedicated to drugging ‘undruggable’ disease targets, announced it has entered into a collaboration with o2h discovery (o2h), an Anglo-Indian medicinal chemistry company that has in-house capability to take drug discovery programmes to the IND filing stage.READ MORE
Compound as Effective as FDA-Approved Drugs Against Life-Threatening InfectionsNews
Purdue University researchers have identified a new compound that in preliminary testing has shown itself to be as effective as antibiotics approved by the Food and Drug Administration to treat life-threatening infections while also appearing to be less susceptible to bacterial resistance.READ MORE
Chemists Design 'Mini-ecosystems' to Test Drug FunctionNews
Scripps Research scientists have solved a major problem in chemistry and drug development by using droplet-sized 'miniecosystems' to quickly see if a molecule can function as a potential therapeutic.READ MORE