Horizon to Acquire Raptor Pharmaceutical
News Sep 13, 2016
Horizon Pharma plc and Raptor Pharmaceutical Corp. announced the companies have entered into a definitive agreement under which Horizon Pharma will acquire all of the issued and outstanding shares of Raptor Pharmaceutical Corp. common stock for $9.00 per share in cash, for an implied fully diluted equity value of approximately $800 million. The transaction is expected to close in the fourth quarter of 2016.
"The proposed acquisition of Raptor furthers our commitment to helping people with rare diseases and is a significant step in advancing our strategy to expand our rare disease business," said Timothy P. Walbert, chairman, president and chief executive officer, Horizon Pharma plc. "Along with the potential for accelerated revenue growth, the addition of Raptor strengthens our U.S. orphan business and provides a platform to expand our orphan business in Europe and other key international markets. We look forward to working with new patient communities and building on the success of the Raptor team."
Strategic and financial benefits of the transaction:
• Strengthens Horizon's focus on rare diseases and provides expansion into Europe and other international markets.
• Adds PROCYSBI® delayed-release capsules and QUINSAIR™ (aerosolized form of levofloxacin) global rights, with PROCYSBI having strong patent protection through 2034.
• Diversifies revenue with 11 medicines across three business units: orphan, rheumatology and primary care.
• Bolsters rare disease revenue, which in the first half of 2016 on a pro-forma basis was 45 percent of total Horizon Pharma revenue.
• Expected to be accretive to adjusted EBITDA in 2017.
"This transaction will deliver significant and immediate value to our shareholders through a compelling all-cash premium and provide ongoing value to our patients, their families and the physicians who treat them," said Julie Anne Smith, president and chief executive officer, Raptor Pharmaceutical Corp. "On behalf of the Board and management team, I extend our deepest gratitude to everyone at Raptor for their unrelenting commitment to advancing the development of our medicines and their tireless work with the patients we serve."
A team of researchers has discovered a combination of pharmaceutical drugs that not only increases healthy lifespan in the microscopic worm Caenorhabditis elegans (C. elegans), but also delays the rate of ageing in them, a finding that could someday mean longer, healthier lives for humans.READ MORE
2nd AI Pharma Innovation: Drug Discovery 2019 Summit
Feb 27 - Feb 28, 2019
5th International Congress on Epigenetics & Chromatin
Aug 22 - Aug 23, 2019
14th World Congress on Medicinal Chemistry and Drug Design
Jun 10 - Jun 11, 2019
International Conference on e-Health and Healthcare Innovations
May 08 - May 09, 2019