Relypsa Acquired for $1.53Bn
News Jul 25, 2016
Galenica and Relypsa announce agreement for Galenica to acquire Relypsa.
Acquisition strengthens Galenica’s Business unit, Vifor Pharma – an important step towards becoming an independent specialty pharma company.
• Galenica will commence a tender offer to acquire all issued and outstanding Relypsa common stock for a cash consideration of USD 32 per share
• Implied fully-diluted equity value of the offer amounts to approximately USD 1.53 billion
• Acquisition affirms commitment of Galenica Board of Directors to separate the Galenica Group into two independent listed companies, partly financed by equity proceeds to be raised in conjunction with the envisaged division of the Galenica Group in 2017
• Transaction brings Vifor Pharma a dedicated US commercial organisation and global rights to Veltassa®, a potassium binder for the treatment of hyperkalaemia
• The Boards of Directors of both Relypsa and Galenica have approved the terms of the merger agreement, and the Board of Directors of Relypsa has resolved to recommend that shareholders accept the offer
Galenica Group announced that it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire the US company Relypsa, Inc., further strengthening its Business unit Vifor Pharma by gaining full global rights to the potassium binder Veltassa® (patiromer) for oral suspension and enhancing its growing position as a global specialty pharmaceutical company. Under the terms of the merger agreement, Galenica will pay USD 32 per share in cash, or a total of approximately USD 1.53 billion. Through this acquisition, Vifor Pharma will gain a fully-integrated commercial organisation in the US and significantly strengthen its presence in the US cardio-renal market, a key area of focus.
PhoreMost and o2h Discovery Collaborate to Progress First-in-Class Drug Discovery ProgramsNews
PhoreMost, the UK-based biopharmaceutical company dedicated to drugging ‘undruggable’ disease targets, announced it has entered into a collaboration with o2h discovery (o2h), an Anglo-Indian medicinal chemistry company that has in-house capability to take drug discovery programmes to the IND filing stage.READ MORE
Simple Sugar Prevents Neurodegeneration in Lysosomal Storage DiseaseNews
New therapeutic approach may one day delay neurodegeneration typical of a disease called mucopolysaccharidoses IIIB (MPS IIIB)READ MORE
Penn Medicine Biochemist Receives Major Award for Research on Epigenetic Protein Modifications via Mass SpecNews
Benjamin A.Garcia, PhD, an expert in quantitative proteomics and Presidential Professor of Biochemistry and Biophysics in the Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania, has been awarded the Biemann Medal by the American Society for Mass Spectrometry (ASMS). The early-career award recognizes significant achievement in basic or applied mass spectrometry.