ThromboGenics Business Update
News May 27, 2013
ThromboGenics NV has issued a business and financial update ending 30 April, 2013.
During 2013, ThromboGenics delivered a number of key corporate milestones, the most important of which was the launch of JETREA® (ocriplasmin) in the US on 14 January via its own commercial organization.
ThromboGenics’ partner outside the US, Alcon, launched JETREA® in the UK and Germany after its approval by the European Commission in March 2013.
The EU approval and the launch of JETREA® in the UK led to ThromboGenics receiving two equal milestones from Alcon amounting to a total of €90 million.
Following these launches, patients and physicians in the US and the EU now have access to the first pharmacological treatment for the sight-threatening condition known as symptomatic vitreomacular adhesion (VMA)/ vitreomacular traction (VMT) respectively.
The launches of JETREA® complete ThromboGenics’ transformation into an integrated company with operations in R&D through to full-scale commercialization.
ThromboGenics and Alcon are now focused on generating greater awareness of the drug and driving JETREA® adoption and revenues in the US and Europe.
Highlights (including post-period events):
Commercializing JETREA® (ocriplasmin) in the US
• JETREA® launched in the US on 14 January as the first pharmacological treatment for symptomatic vitreomacular adhesion (VMA)
• Highly focused commercial team, including specialty sales force, now working to drive the US sales of JETREA®
• In absence of J-code, reimbursement specialists educate physicians on ThromboGenics’ comprehensive reimbursement support program to assist US physicians in gaining reimbursement for JETREA® and explaining relevant patient assistance programs
• Code (reimbursement code) should be in place from 1 January 2014 - J-code will automate ‘bill and payment’ process for practices
Positive reaction to JETREA® from US retina community:
• Sales of $10.2 million since the product’s US launch through the end of April
• 40% of total targeted retina practices have ordered JETREA®
• 50% of these practices have reordered the product
Commercializing JETREA® in Europe and ROW
• In March 2013, the European Medicines Agency (EMA) approved JETREA® for the treatment of vitreomacular traction (VMT), including when associated with macular hole of diameter less than or equal to 400 microns
• The EU approval led to ThromboGenics receiving a €45 million milestone payment from Alcon
• Thrombogenics received a further €45 million payment from Alcon in April 2013 for the first order of JETREA® in Europe
JETREA® Phase IIa wet AMD trial reporting:
• ThromboGenics reports positive data from a Phase IIa study showing that JETREA® has potential to resolve VMA in patients with wet age-related macular degeneration (wAMD)
• In the study, at Day 28 (primary endpoint, p=0.26), 24% of the treated patients achieved resolution compared to 12% in the sham injection arm
• No unexpected safety issues were identified, and the safety profile is in keeping with the previous pivotal trial data
• To confirm these clinical results, further larger studies to confirm clinical benefits are warranted
• At the end of April 2013, the Company had a cash balance exceeding €200 million
• In March, the Company’s shares started trading as part of the BEL20 index on the Euronext stock exchange.
Dr Patrik De Haes, CEO of ThromboGenics, said: “The start of 2013 has been a very positive period for ThromboGenics with our lead product JETREA® being launched in the US and Europe. As a result, patients and physicians on both sides of the Atlantic now have access to the first pharmacological treatment for symptomatic VMA/VMT, an important sight-threatening condition. We are pleased with the positive reaction to JETREA® from the US retina community, and are confident that this momentum will continue.
“The EU approval of JETREA® and its recent launch in the UK and Germany triggered a total of €90 million in milestone payments from Alcon. These funds strengthen our financial position, and will allow us to invest further in the US commercialization of JETREA®, develop new indications for this novel medicine and expand our R&D pipeline. Over the next 12 months we expect to generate further shareholder value as the US sales of JETREA® continue to build and we receive royalties from Alcon as JETREA® continues to be rolled out across Europe.”
Immune Response Restored in Patients with Melanoma Thanks to New CompoundNews
A novel compound may restore immune response in patients with melanoma, according to a study presented at the ESMO Immuno Oncology Congress 2017.READ MORE
Commonly Prescribed Painkillers: What Can be Done to Reduce Risk of Obesity and Sleep Deprivation?News
Commonly prescribed painkillers need to be given for shorter periods of time to reduce the risk of obesity and sleep deprivation, a new study has revealed.READ MORE