Tornado Hits Chinese Labs
Product News Feb 22, 2014
As growing numbers of Chinese pharmaceutical companies increase their investment in drug discovery, the adoption of technology to increase their chemical synthesis throughput is growing fast.
There has been considerable interest in the Radleys Tornado and Carousel 6 system, which offers controlled parallel heating and mechanical stirring of up to 6 x 250ml flask within a compact benchtop footprint.
Professor Chen Biqiang from the College of Life Science and Technology at the Beijing Institute of Chemical Technology recently invested in a Tornado system.
He commented, “I am primarily engaged in the research of enzyme-catalyzed synthesis of polyunsaturated fatty acid glycerides and previously used a water bath and mechanical agitation to deal with a sample. However, we could only manage one sample at a time. Since using the Tornado system, which can process samples under vacuum and we can simultaneously carry out several reactions. This has greatly increased our work efficiency, AND the Carousel 6 part of the system also offers parallel magnetic stirring as well.”
The Tornado system offers unrivalled stirring for both viscous samples and for the dispersion of delicate solids in solution.
• Uses a single overhead stirrer to stir all positions simultaneously - saving space and money
• Rapid and controlled heating to 180˚C; with integral water cooled reflux head.
• Accepts 50ml, 100ml and 250ml round bottom flasks.
• ‘Pinch-Grip’ mechanism allows easy, ‘tool-free’ stirrer shaft insertion
• Operates under an inert atmosphere.
• Wide neck flasks with quick coupling for improved sealing and ease of use.
• 2-speed drive allows overhead stirrers with less torque to be used for higher viscosities.
• Stir to 1000rpm in low viscosity solutions. Max. viscosity 10,000mPas at 500rpm.