Devgen NV Successfully Completes a Private Placement for a Total Amount of € 26.8 Million
News May 03, 2011
Devgen nv placed 4,584,549 new shares in a private placement with pre-identified investors for a total amount of € 26,819,611. The shares were placed at a price of € 5.85 per share, which is at least equal to the 30 day average price, in compliance with Belgian Company Law.
The shares are expected to be paid and issued on April 4, 2011 (in the absence of unforeseen circumstances). 1,945,613 shares will be listed immediately. The Company will apply for the admission to list the remainder 2,638,936 shares on NYSE Euronext Brussels on the basis of a listing prospectus. As a result of this transaction, the total amount of outstanding shares increases with 23.3 % from 19,676,642 to 24,261,191.
The proceeds of the offering will be used to grow Devgen's seeds and crop technology business in line with its business plan. This includes accelerating the growth of its premium hybrid rice seed business in the Indian subcontinent and South-East Asia and investment in its "Next Generation Hybrid Rice" (NGHR) and biotech trait technology platforms to develop increasingly more producible, high yielding and abiotic stress tolerant hybrid rice seeds.
The principal new investors are Gimv and Gimv-managed funds, who jointly invest € 9.0 million (1,538,462 shares or 33.5 % of the transaction) in Devgen. Gimv has been a lead investor in Devgen from its creation in 1997 until 2007. Today, Gimv re-enters Devgen's share capital by underwriting the private placement.
48.5 % of the transaction was placed with existing reference shareholders of the company:
• O.G.B.B. A. Van Herk B.V.
• Biovest Comm.VA represented by Mr. Rudi Mariën (Gengest bvba) on Devgen's board
• A group of three undisclosed parties having each less than 3% in the company.
The remaining shares, representing 18.0 % of the transaction, were placed with other institutional investors.
The board of directors intends to propose the candidacies of two new members of the board of directors at the upcoming general shareholders' meeting of 1 June, 2011:
• Mr. Aat Van Herk has been a shareholder of the company since the company was listed on Euronext in 2005. He brings valuable expertise to the board through his eminent track record as entrepreneur and investor in biotech companies.
• Mr. Wouter de Ruiter, who brings valuable seed industry expertise to Devgen's board as former shareholder of and breeder at De Ruiter Seeds, a leading vegetable seed company.
China is poised to introduce a new regulation on gene editing in humans. A draft of the country’s new civil code lists human genes and embryos in a section on personality rights to be protected. Experiments on genes in adults or embryos that endanger human health or violate ethical norms can accordingly be seen as a violation of a person’s fundamental rights.READ MORE