NCGR Elects New Chair and Expands the Board of Directors
News Jan 19, 2006
The National Center for Genome Resources (NCGR) has announced the election of Dr. Mary F. Lipscomb as Chairman of the Board of Directors, effective November 19, 2005.
Dr. Lipscomb is Frederick H. Harvey Professor and Chair, Department of Pathology, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque.
Dr. Lipscomb replaces Dr. Miguel Rios Jr., who was appointed Chairman Emeritus. Dr. Rios is CEO of ORION International Technologies Inc.
Dr. Rios has served on the NCGR Board since 1995. In 2001 he was elected
Chairman and served as acting President and CEO from that time through January, 2004, when the current President and CEO, Dr. Stephen Kingsmore, joined NCGR.
Dr. Rios’ tenure as Chairman was an important rebuilding phase as the Center stabilized its financial position and recruited an outstanding group of scientists and staff who revitalized its vision for the future.
In addition, NCGR announced the expansion of its Board of Directors with the election of:
• Donald Armstrong, M.D., Member Emeritus, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer
Center, New York, NY,
• Charles J. Arntzen, Ph.D., Co-Director of the Center for Infectious Diseases &
Vaccinology, The Biodesign Center, Arizona State University,
• William Beavis, Ph.D., Chief Scientific Officer, NCGR,
• Michael A. Cawley, J.D., President and CEO of the Samuel Roberts Noble
Foundation, Ardmore, Oklahoma,
• Mark B. Chandler, Ph.D., Chairman and CEO, Biophysical Corporation, Austin, Texas,
• Keith A. Joiner, M.D., M.P.H., Dean, College of Medicine, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona,
• Stuart A. Kauffman, M.D., Director, Institute for Biocomplexity and Informatics, University of Calgary, Alberta, Canada,
• Stephen F. Kingsmore, M.B., Ch.B. (ex officio), President & CEO, NCGR,
• Teresa I. Leger de Fernandez, J.D., Managing Partner, Nordhaus Law Firm LLP, Santa Fe, New Mexico,
• C. Rick Lyons, M.D., Ph.D., Director, Center for Infectious Disease and Immunity, Associate Professor of Medicine, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque,
• Michael V. Martin, Ph.D., President, New Mexico State University, Las Cruces,
• Marvin Miller, Chairman, Onconova Therapeutics Inc., Livingston, New Jersey,
• Van Romero, Ph.D., Vice President for Research, New Mexico Tech, Socorro,
• Gloria E. Sarto, M.D., Ph.D., Director, University of Wisconsin Center for
Women Health, Meritor Hospital, Madison, Wisconsin,
• E. Jonathan (Jon) Soderstrom, Ph.D., Managing Director, Office of Cooperative
Research, Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut,
• Terry L. Yates, Ph.D., Vice President, Research & Economic Development, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, New Mexico.
Dr. Lipscomb, NCGR's Chairman, said, "We are honored to have these exceptional individuals join our Board of Directors."
"All have many years of experience in business, science or senior management with prestigious institutions or highly successful companies."
"They will add breadth and depth to our Board that will help us take our organization to the next level."
There are hundreds of thousands of structural variants (SVs) in the human genome that are hard to identify than single nucleotide variants. Researchers have used a full suite of genomic technologies to analyze the number of SVs in three individuals, and the results present as the most comprehensive catalog of SVS to date.READ MORE