New Molecular Biology Tools Drive Efficiency across a Range of Applications
Product News Jun 11, 2014
New molecular biology kits unveiled can help to shorten researchers’ time in the laboratory by simplifying nucleic acid purification, next-generation sequencing, epigenetic research and animal genotyping - all while providing higher yields and improved quality.
“The Thermo Scientific Molecular Biology product portfolio represents a complete range of innovative, high-quality reagents, instruments and plastic consumables to help accelerate research,” says Margarita Leckiene, director of nucleic acid detection and molecular tools for Thermo Fisher Scientific. “The latest additions to our portfolio are intended to drive efficiency and reproducibility in the lab, while providing confidence in results and compatibility with downstream applications.”
The new product additions include:
• Thermo Scientific GeneJET Endo-Free Plasmid Maxiprep Kit enables the purification of high yields of endotoxin-free plasmid DNA for successful transfection of sensitive cell lines, as well as in vivo transfection. The silica spin column-based protocol can be completed in one hour without DNA precipitation or DNA pellet re-suspension.
• Thermo Scientific GeneJET FFPE DNA Purification Kit offers fast and convenient DNA purification from formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded (FFPE) tissue samples without overnight incubation or toxic solvents. The purification procedure can be completed in two hours while generating high DNA yields and excellent DNA quality. The kit is ideal for direct use in downstream applications such as qPCR, PCR and NGS library preparation.
• Thermo Scientific MuSeek Library Preparation Kit, Illumina compatible utilizes an innovative transposon-based technology that simplifies the library preparation workflow with one universal protocol to generate different fragment lengths with minimal bias. Enzymatic fragmentation and simultaneous tagging of the target DNA eliminates the need for separate shearing, DNA end-repair and adaptor ligation steps, resulting in significant savings in time and cost over classic techniques.
• Thermo Scientific EpiJET 5-hmC and 5-mC Analysis Kit provides specialized reagents and necessary controls to distinguish between common epigenetic modifications that have been implicated in numerous biological processes and disease states. The entire protocol can be completed in four hours without overnight incubation, allowing researchers to spend their time on data analysis rather than a lengthy protocol.
• Thermo Scientific Animal Genotypes Panels are advanced multiplex PCR systems for co-amplification of microsatellite markers for short tandem repeat (STR) genotyping. The kits are designed for bovine, equine or canine species and include all of the necessary reagents for multiplex amplification of target STR loci in a single PCR reaction. The Thermo Scientific Phusion Hot Start DNA Polymerase eliminates confusing plus-A or split peaks, resulting in easy allele interpretation. All panels use International Society of Animal Genetics (ISAG)-recommended microsatellite markers for standardized and internationally accepted results. This product is available in Canada, Europe, Asia Pacific, and Latin American countries.