Redd&Whyte’s Preddator Wins Spot in The Scientist’s Top 10 Innovations 2010
Complete the form below to unlock access to ALL audio articles.
The top ten innovations were chosen by a panel of expert judges, who selected the most exciting tools to hit the life sciences from over 60 entries in the third annual Top 10 competition.
The Preddator is a unique, highly versatile precision instrument, designed specifically for successful dispensing of low volumes of cells, beads, surfactants, oils and biochemical reagents into 96- to 3,456-well plates and other labware. Low volume pipetting (20nl - 100μl) is used routinely in drug discovery and research applications. However, current technologies are inadequate at high throughput, causing problems such as blockage of tips, foaming of reagents containing surfactants, or damage to cells. The Preddator’s new technology overcomes these issues to ensure highly accurate and reproducible dispensing of complex materials into all types of microtitre plate, including those with peripheral evaporation wells and channels. The system can be programmed to dispense any pattern and is ideal for a broad range of applications, including MALDI spotting.
“We’re absolutely delighted to have won one of The Scientist’s Top 10 Innovations awards,” said Roger Poole, MD at Redd&Whyte. “This is a significant achievement for a small and relatively unknown start-up company, we have beaten off stiff competition to feature alongside some of the industry’s largest and best known companies. We’re looking forward to a very exciting year ahead for the Preddator.”
The Preddator can be used as a standalone instrument, or integrated fully into automated robotic platforms for HTS operations.
The Top 10 Innovations of 2010:
1. PacBio RS; Pacific Biosciences
2. Genetically engineered disease model cell lines; Sigma-Aldrich
3. Scepter Handheld Automated Cell Counter; EMD Millipore
4. Diffinity RapidTip™; Diffinity Genomics
5. iCell Cardiomyocytes; Cellular Dynamics International
6. Maestro Dynamic; Cambridge Research & Instrumentation
7. Alvetex®; Reinnervate Limited
8. Attune Acoustic Focusing Cytometer; Applied Biosystems
9. Gel Doc EZ Imager; Bio-Rad Laboratories
10. Preddator microplate dispenser; Redd&Whyte
The original article, Top Ten Innovations 2010, can be found here