What do we KNOw About Nitric Oxide's Role in Neuroinflammation
Infographic Jun 02, 2017
Nitric oxide is a ubiquitous signalling molecule important for neuronal signalling, vascular tone and launching immune responses. Increased nitric oxide signalling produces damaging free radicals.
Does aberrant nitric oxide signalling cause the damaging neurodegeneration underlying diseases like Alzheimer’s Disease, Parkinson’s Disease, Multiple Sclerosis and Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis?
Or is the up-regulation of nitric oxide production a symtpom of the underlying disease? The answer to these questions remain unknown.
This infographic describes:
• The cost of neuroinflammation
• How microglia are activated and produce nitric oxide
• The physiological and pathophysiological roles of nitric oxide
• The biochemical pathways involved in the production of damaging free radicals
• And how these fit in to the neurodegeneration seen in Alzheimer’s Disease