Affymetrix Automated Microarray Processing Platform Analyzes up to 96 Samples at a Time
Product News Mar 28, 2007
The HT Array Plates offer the same validated content as the traditional cartridges in a format designed for larger-scale studies. The complete system increases productivity for large-scale gene expression studies by decreasing processing time, improving data consistency and reducing overall costs.
Researchers at large pharmaceutical companies and clinical research laboratories can now increase the scope and scale of their gene expression microarray projects without additional manpower.
The automated system provides consistent microarray data for every experimental sample run, which drastically reduces the need to reanalyze samples.
The HT Array Plate System also helps ensure reproducible data for large-scale studies that are conducted in multiple laboratories. According to Affymetrix, compared to manual methods, the complete HT Array Plate System reduces the overall required labor time by at least 40 percent.
Scientists at Avalon Pharmaceuticals have processed thousands of samples on the system and are using the data to identify and develop new compounds for oncology therapeutics. The Affymetrix system enables the team to analyze compound effects across thousands of genes simultaneously, and compare the activity of compounds to a large transcription database derived from cellular treatments.
“The Affymetrix HT Array Plate System enables high-throughput gene expression studies in a highly reliable, reproducible and cost-effective manner,” said Dan Soppet, Ph.D., director of lead development at Avalon Pharmaceuticals.
“When compared to our previous two color glass slide arrays, the automated 96-well format has more than doubled our throughput, while reducing process failures by 10-fold to a level of 1 to 2 percent. These features allow us to confidently schedule research programs and rapidly produce very high-quality results for both internal discovery and corporate partnerships.”
The Affymetrix HT Array Plate System is built on the same GeneChip® technology that has been the industry standard in microarray research for the past decade. The system includes flexible instrumentation, proven GeneChip® microarrays, optimized assays and reagents as well as open software architecture.
The integral components include:
• GeneChip® HT Array Plates—provide comprehensive coverage of the transcribed human, mouse and rat genomes in a convenient configuration that enables researchers to interrogate either 24 or 96 distinct samples at one time
• GeneChip® HT One-Cycle Target Labeling and Control Reagents—offer optimized target preparation kit for large-scale gene expression studies
• GeneChip® Array Station for automated target preparation and microarray processing—allows one person to prepare the same number of targets that four people could accomplish manually
• GeneChip® HT Array Plate Scanner—delivers the industry-leading image quality and turnaround time of less than three minutes per array
• GeneChip® HT Software Suite—features latest version of GeneChip® Operating Software (GCOS), HT Image Reader and HT Data Transfer Tool
“Affymetrix has set the standard in the industry for whole-genome 3’ expression arrays with thousands of peer-reviewed publications citing the technology,” said Chip Leveille, vice president of the pharmaceutical business unit at Affymetrix.
“The GeneChip HT Array Plate System makes this same comprehensive and well-proven content available in a format designed to better enable larger-scale studies, while reducing overall study costs and processing variability.”